[Skip to Content]

Travel Advice and Health Information for New Zealand

Within this section we cover three important areas in relation to travelling to Australia which are:


As a rule, if you are a visitor to New Zealand you will not be entitled to any free medical treatment. There is a reciprocal arrangement for UK citizens, but it is limited and you should still get comprehensive medical insurance.

You don’t need vaccinations to travel in New Zealand. What you will need, especially if you are tramping or camping out, is a first aid kit. You will also need to get travel insurance with good medical cover. In New Zealand a hospital will treat you for free if it is an emergency brought about by an accident, but in all other cases you will have to pay for your treatment. So get insured!


For emergencies dial 111. If you need medical attention then the main hospitals in New Zealand are as follows (with general contact numbers):

  • Auckland City Hospital, 2 Park Road - 09 367 0000
  • Christchurch Central Hospital, Riccarton Avenue - 03 364 0640
  • Wellington Hospital, Riddiford Street, Newtown - 04 385 5999


If you get into trouble when you are abroad, a consulate can contact your family or a friend on your behalf. They can help you to transfer money and put you in touch with English speaking doctors, lawyers and interpreters. They can’t get you out of prison, investigate a crime on your behalf, pay for hotels, legal or medical costs or intervene in court cases. The key thing to do is check the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office website before you leave:


Useful Embassy Information

  • UK High Commission -  44 Hill Street, Thorndon, Wellington – 04 924 2888
  • Irish Honorary Consul - 87 Queen Street, Auckland - 09 302 2867
  • Canadian High Commission – 125 The Terrace, Wellington – 04 473 9577