[Skip to Content]

Working Holiday Visas for Gap Years in Australia

To work in Australia you need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa (WHV). This cannot be granted in Australia but certain nationalities (including British people) may apply in any country except Australia.

You have a year from the date your visa is issued in which to travel to Australia and you are allowed to stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you enter. You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you like during the 12 months from the date of first entry. However if you depart Australia during your 12 months stay you can’t “top up” or recover the period of time spent outside Australia. You are only ever issued one WHV.

The work restrictions on the visa mean you can only work for three months with any one employer, however there are no restrictions on the type of work you can do.

A WHV also allows you to study or do training in Australia for up to three months as part of your year there.

A Working Holiday Visa is the best way of working legally and getting paid properly on your travels. If you are doing a round the world trip, Australia and New Zealand will be your likely port of calls for holiday and work. There are a number of criteria you must fulfil as a working holiday visa applicant for Australia:

Working Holiday Visa Conditions

  • Aged between 18-30 years.
  • Not accompanied by dependent children.
  • Show your main reason for coming to Australia is to holiday, and any work you do is just to support yourself whilst in Australia.
  • Have not previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday Visa.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Upon arrival be able to provide an outward ticket or sufficient funds for one.


Processing Your Australian Working Holiday Visa

You can only process your WHM visa online now on the Australian Immigration website.

Read more about Working Holiday Visas in Australia.