[Skip to Content]

A Gap Year Opportunity Not To Be Missed

Saturday 16th October 2010

Camp America offer students a unique opportunity to get a seasonal job in America

Camp America is an opportunity you should not miss!  It is a chance to do something different with your summer and spend it in the USA living and working either with children or behind the scenes as support staff on an American Summer Camp. Each year over 7,500 young people take the opportunity...will you be one of them?

Camp America have spent the last 40 years in the business of sending young people over the big pond for a summer of fun, sun, kids and camp - so they know a thing or two about gap years or summer jobs in the USA.  They have a brand spanking new on-line application system which allows over 900 camps access to your application 24/7 and they have also introduced a ground-breaking system of basing the after camp payment you get on the skills and experience you have.

The Camp America programme is designed to give you the best of both worlds - work and play. Following your camp/resort placement you will have up to 2 months to explore the USA and enjoy all the fun, excitement and adventure there is to discover there.  To secure your placement at a US summer camp or resort for summer 2010 all you need to do is:

  • Complete the online application, pay your first deposit & meet with one of the Camp America interviewers.
  • Your application gets posted on our on-line matching system, and is available to be seen by over 900 camps in the US!
  • Camp America find you a placement, tell you where you are going and provide you the assistance you need in obtaining the J-1 visa, and take all the hassle out of arranging the boring stuff like flights & medical insurance.
  • You leave on a jet plane, you spend the summer at camp, you travel a bit. Job done!

Gapwork Gap Year Jobs Tips: USA Working Holiday Visas

In order to work a summer or a gap year in the United States, it is necessary for international applicants to be students and to have either a J-1 Exchange Visitors Visa or an F-1 Visa. The J-1 allows for students cultural exchange for work and travel, the F-1 allows for practical training. The H-2B visa is for those wishing to work on a temporary or seasonal basis in a non-agricultural sector. These are only issued if you are offered a job in the US by an employer who has completed the correct paperwork and has proven that they cannot find any American citizen who can do the job instead. This is the kind of visa you will need if you want any kind of work, permanent or temporary, that is not an organised program or exchange. If you want to get paid work in a ski resort or pick fruit for a few weeks.

Getting a visa to work in America on your own is a real hassle but there are organisations that will help you through the application process - see our sections on Jobs in the USA and Destination USA for details of companies who will help you. For more information on applying for a visa to work in the USA, see our USA Visas section.