[Skip to Content]

Get your RSA certificate online and find hospitality work in Australia

Monday 14th November 2011

If you want to work in a bar, restaurant or hotel in Australia, you will need an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate.

In a bid to try to manage the way in which alcohol is sold and consumed in pubs, bars and other licensed premises in Australia, they have a qualification that you need to complete before applying for jobs in the hospitality industry. Don't worry though, this isn't a Masters degree in astrophysics, it is a simple short course which is completed either online, or when you are in Australia. 

The various states have different requirements - some allow you to complete the course online, some don't. Each state has it's own version of the course, and there is also a national version, but the national version doesn't necessarily mean you can turn up anywhere and apply for a bar job, you may need to complete a "bridging" qualification as well. Most states issue you with a certificate, others with an ID card. 

Confused? We're not surprised! But we have created a new section of gapwork.com that gives you an introduction to the RSA course, because without it, you are at a real disadvantage if you are serious about finding bar work during your year out in Australia on a working holiday visa.