[Skip to Content]

University Students and Graduates can apply for a Korean Government Scholarship

Wednesday 7th April 2010

The TaLK (Teach & Learn in Korea) program is inviting adventurous university students and graduates to teach English on their gap year and experience Korean culture. Sponsored by the Korean Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.

TaLK will sponsor individuals interested in gaining personal and professional enrichment through teaching English and learning about culture in Korea. The program is open to citizens of countries where English is the national language.

Participants will receive Korean government scholarships and teach English in after-school classes of Korean elementary schools while enjoying cultural programs during their free time. Recipients will be placed at schools in rural areas in need of greater exposure to English and teach the language by forming one-on-one working relationships with Korean university TaLK Scholars.

Candidates must have be at least 2 years into an undergraduate degree, should have a desire to work with children, have a service-centered mind, a willingness to work in rural areas and have consideration for others with a positive attitude.

Gapwork Gap Year and Career Break Tips: Were you born to teach English?

Teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) is a great way of earning money on your gap year or career break abroad - or even just a longer working holiday! Most cities in the world have language schools that need English teachers , and native speakers (like you!) are by far the most popular and effective teachers. You could be teaching children or adults at all levels from basic grammar to technical business English - but first you will need a TEFL qualification! Don’t be daunted though it shouldn’t take too long to get - courses can range from a few days to a few weeks - and once you are qualified, really the world is your oyster, you can even make a career out of it! For more information on teaching English, visit our Teaching English as a Foreign Language section.