[Skip to Content]

Canada - Working Holiday Visas

International Experience Canada is the new name of the Canadian Working Holiday Visa. The program is open to young people from many different countries, who wish to work and travel in Canada. The main purpose of the trip is to travel and experience life in another country. You need to be aged between 18-30 if you are from the UK, or 18-35 if you are from Ireland. For a full list of all countries who are eligible for International Experience Canada click here.

If you are from the UK, you can apply online for a registration kit for a working holiday visa from the Canadian Government website. Because the application is currently being processed through the Canadian Embassy in Paris, and the Canadian High Commission in London, you need to allow at least 10 weeks for your application to be processed. If your application is successful you will receive a letter of introduction which gets you into the country, and a temporary work permit, which allows you to work there. It is advisable to wait until you get your visa approved before buying health insurance or booking your flights to Canada.

You do need to have proof from your bank that you have enough money to support you for 3 months when you arrive in Canada. The proof of funds needs to be submitted when you apply for your visa.

The Canadian Working Holiday visa allows you to work on a temporary basis for any employer, anywhere in Canada.

About the eTA Canada: 

If you are planning to travel to Canada by plane in 2020 or 2021 and do not possess a Canadian or US passport, and you also hold the nationality from one of the visa-exempt countries, you are required to apply for an eTA beforehand. This holds for holidays, business trips, studies, family visits, and transits through Canadian airports. Only if you possess a Canadian or US passport, or a Canadian visa are you exempt from filing for a Canada eTA. Most travellers choose the eTA because it is cheaper, easier and faster to apply for than a visa. To obtain a visa, an appointment has to be made at the Canadian embassy, while the eTA Canada can be applied for in a few minutes online.Click here to  learn more about the eTA  application process.