[Skip to Content]

Europe - Working Holiday Visas

If you are a citizen of an EU member country, then in theory at least, you can pack your bags and head off to any other EU member country in search of a job. That is the beauty of the free movement of workers in the European Union. In practice however, there are limits to what you can achieve. Firstly, there is the language barrier. To work in a French city or resort, you will need decent French. Some areas, such as the Spanish coastal resorts, where there are many British tourists, will have more opportunity for non-Spanish speakers, but on the whole, not speaking a bit of French or Spanish will be a restriction to the kind of jobs you can get.

Secondly, while you can work fairly straightforwardly in most European countries, even EU citizens will need to sort out a temporary residency permit if they plan to spend more than 3 months (usually) in another EU country. Finally, you need to bear in mind that every European destination has different employment patterns. At certain times of year you will be more likely to find bar or hotel work. At other times of the year, you will be more likely to find ski jobs. Either way, you need to do your research and plan well ahead.

Many European countries offer working holiday visas for certain non-EU citizens, usually Australian, Canadian and Japanese are included, although each program differs according to the destination. On a Working Holiday Visa you can do any type of work on a temporary basis. Whether you are on a WHV or are an EU citizen, you should never arrive in any destination without enough money to support yourself or job leads. Use the organisations on this page to help you find your dream job in Europe.


Visas Europe



Professional Internships in a wide range of different fields in Auckland, Barcelona, Berlin, Chicago, Dublin, London, Madrid, Milan, New York, Paris, San Diego, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and Vancouver. J1 Visa for self-arranged internships in the USA.

Find out more Visit their website