[Skip to Content]

If you are a registered nurse you could find a temporary post in Australia.

There are two types of nurse in Australia:

  • Registered Nurse - university educated and qualified
  • Enrolled Nurse - an enrolled nurse works under the supervision of a registered nurse

To work as a nurse in Australia with a working holiday visa you should apply to the Nurse Regulatory Authority (NRA) in the state or territory in which you wish to work. Since the initial registration process can take a long time (6 weeks to 4 months), it is advisable to start the process as soon as possible and certainly before you arrive in Australia.

Nurses have to be registered in the state they wish to practice in but once you have registered it becomes easier to register for work throughout Australia, making your working holiday more flexible and exciting. The NRA will check that you meet the national nursing competency standards required for all territories. You can also approach the Australian Nursing Council (ANCI) to complete an assessment - working holiday visa holders don't have to do this but it is recommended as it can save you time when you try to register with the NRA.

What you'll need for Nursing in Australia:

CV and Nursing Documentation
All employers will ask you for a detailed CV and written references – keep you CV on email and get 2 references from your recent bosses on hospital letterhead to bring with you – failing that bring contact details (email or phone is best) for them.

Certified Copies of Documents
Take your original document with the copied so the certifying person can view and confirm the original copy. The person certifying the document must write the following: “I certify this document is a true copy of the original” and sign and date, adding in block capitals their name, their position and address. Your application may be rejected if you only have a signed statement.

Most hospitals in Australia are happy for you to wear a combination of navy bottoms and a white shirt – most agencies will supply you with a uniform shirt. So if you can pack your nursing shoes and a pair of navy trousers then you are right to start work on arrival.

Each State or Territory nursing registration you apply for will require the payment of a fee. The fee amounts are documented on each State Nursing Registration Board.

Working Holiday Visa
You'll need a WHV to work in Australia, and you'll need to be under 30 to get one!  Find out more in our Australia Visas section.